Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Next Step

Coming back from injury is always tough. This one has been a little tougher because of the long layoff I had to endure between runs. There is always a bit of a hangover anyway when it comes to the weeks after a marathon, but coupled with doing a lot more sitting around and wondering when and if you'll run again makes it that much tougher.

Ideas of doing another marathon have flashed through my head since I returned to running. I have narrowed it down to two possible races. They are both in the fall. I am still watching and waiting to decide what it is I want to do, but I am close to making my mind up. One of them is run in September, so if I am to run that one, I must make up my mind in the next week because training will begin again.

I am craving the discipline and the structure of training. Running "whatever" miles is o.k., but it leaves too much to chance. "I was gonna do 6 miles today, but it's too warm out, so I'll do 5 instead." That kind of thinking is not done when you've got a structured plan in front of you.

Speaking of warm. It has been warm and summer is basically here. With the difficult winter, it is nice to have, but it's almost too warm. I look to make my next marathon announcement by week's end.

Next race: Saturday, June 9. Daily American 10k.

1 comment:

Tacoma said...

I am glad the ankle is doing better. I know how addicting running can be, but also know that once you get away from it, it is so hard to return. I am returning to my running since my work schedule is a bit light and I have the time. Your work ethic and routine is one to be proud of!