Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Grylls? Sure. Bear? No.

Running is a relatively simple task. You put one foot in front of the other and you do it as quickly as possible if you want to be fast. You battle yourself and the occasional other runner if you so choose. You battle the elements, the landscape and occasionally a dog, people and on a rare occasion wildlife (depending on where you run).

I live in the Allegheny Mountains of western Pennsylvania. I live in a mostly residential area in the suburbs with houses pretty much as far as the eye can see. But there is also a lot of wooded areas, and state game lands within a few miles. It is a rather unique area of the country to live. The weather can play havoc with you and change in an instant. We get to experience all four seasons of the year and generally it is a great place to live.

As a runner, I've encountered the aforementioned wildlife. I've run head on into a skunk or two, plenty of rabbits squirrels and a groundhog or two. I've seen deer in the dim moonlight of an early morning run and even saw what I thought was a fox dashing into a heavily wooded area out in front of me.

A few weeks ago, our neighbor reported seeing a black bear in the alley behind our house. Tree trunks carry the evidence of bear scratching and word around town is that a black bear has been seen cleaning out bird feeders. Living in the area that I do, this is a bit startling. We are not mountain people living in the deep country. And as an early morning runner, it is a concern that I now run with. Different sections of my runs carry me past possible bear encounters. And although I would love to run into Bear Grylls, the Man vs. Wild guy on Discovery and host of my new favorite show; an encounter with a real bear is not high on my list. Needless to say, it will be an interesting summer and fall as I keep one eye on the road, and one eye to the wooded areas as I run past. Hopefully fast.

No comments: