Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Letting Go Before Moving On

I read somewhere once that you have to let go of the past before you can move on. I'm pretty big on things like this, and on Sunday I experienced this first hand.

As I prepared for my longest run since the marathon (just 5 miles), I was getting ready to start out my back alley like I've done hundreds of times. In the four weeks since Cincinnati, I have not kept time on my stopwatch because I didn't want to delete my mile splits from the marathon. I'm not exactly sure why but I couldn't bring myself to deleting it and in effect, "let go of Cincy".

But since I have posted on here several times since May 6 that I would be announcing my next marathon, I figured that if I cleansed myself of Cincinnati and moved onward it might make it easier for me to commit for the next race.

So reluctantly I brought up my mile splits on my watch and hit the reset button. 0:00:00. I felt a rush of adrenaline and then put one foot in front of the other and pushed off on another training run.

Where will that and future runs lead me? I've thought about several and have put a lot of thought into it. But I've narrowed the possibilities to one of two races.

It's either going to be Philadelphia, PA on November 18 or Akron, OH on September 29. I've also considered the local Johnstown Marathon but I guess what I'm waiting for is to decide if a fall marathon is exactly what I want to do. Letting go of Cincinnati was tough. I'd like to sleep on "no plans" for a few more days.

No comments: