Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Ray of Hope

While sitting in my living room on Veteran's Day wondering when I could stop taking ibuprofen and having to ice this thing and why the world is being so unfair to me I struggled with thoughts on how to get this thing better. Do I get an MRI? Do I continue doing what I'm doing? Chiropractor? Active Release Therapy? Then I came to an easy conclusion. If I could just stop walking around on this thing for a few days it could get a lot better a lot quicker. Seems easy enough. Why didn't the P.A. who had me x-rayed even suggest a brace, a walking cast, crutches? Who knows. But I do know that every day has been like re-injuring the foot to a varying degree. Each night the swelling returns and the icing process begins.

Then it hits me. I can stay off of it for a few days. I just needed a pair of crutches. So I made some calls and lo and behold I've got a pair of used crutches. Perhaps it was the anticipation of relief. Perhaps it was just time taking it's natural course. Whatever the reason, the foot was actually better last night. Not 100% and not near 100% but certainly noticeable improvement for the first time in over two weeks.

I'm not close to getting back on the roads, but I feel closer than yesterday and that is a step in the right direction.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Good idea with the crutches Vinny...hope it works for you!

I too experienced a non running injury today! I was in Atlanta all week for work and coming back home today I twisted my ankle pretty badly trying to rush off my plane at the DC airport so I wouldn't be late for my connection to Altoona....my foot caught an edge on the ramp from the plane to the terminal and rolled completely over....ouch!!
I think a few days of rest will get me back in the saddle though...hope the same for you!

I did get a couple of runs in from my hotel this week...can't believe how cold Atlanta was in the early mornings!!

Sheehan

Vince said...

Thanks Tim. It's been long and slow and I'm beyond frustration. Up and down and hopefully I'm back at it soon. Good luck with the ankle.