Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Long Slow Road

The road to recovery. What is being termed most likely a "soft-tissue" injury for me in possibly the worst spot, this road is windy, long and as difficult as any I've traveled.

Although it feels as if the foot is getting better, I still struggle with the fact that by simply walking I am hurting the foot. Each day I ice, I elevate and I medicate. I also am getting impatient as to when I might be able to run again. I am struggling and mightily. This is probably the worst injury I've suffered in a long time.

And despite the positives (they are few and far), I am still struggling knowing that I cannot do what I used to do. I want to get back on the roads and I don't know when that will be possible. Tomorrow evening will be two weeks since I took the puck in my foot and although I would say it is better it is still not near to being good enough.

I am angry with the player that hit me. Especially when I think about the fact that he was in the process of "reversing the play", which means that he purposely threw the puck backwards instead of moving it forward. As I remember the play he had no reason to reverse the play. He had room to get it out or chip it out off the glass. But because of a stupid choice by him, I am hobbled. And I am angry. Fortunately I don't know who it was and don't care. I would never retribute anyway. But the fact of the matter is I am not running, I am frustrated and I am badly in need of getting right and back out on the roads. And so for now; I wait...

2 comments:

Bert said...

Vin,

Sorry to hear about the injury. I can sympathize up to a point, just recently having suffered a similar 'non-running' running injury, i.e. twisting my knee while mopping up water due to minor flooding caused by a recent hurricane.

I think runners get more frustrated by the non-running injuries because they seem unfair: it is not like you did something wrong.

Best to rest and let it heal up though, rather than risk aggravating it.

Vince said...

Thanks Bert. It's been frustrating because it's been since 2002 when I went this long without running. No running, no skating so I've been getting plenty of rest. I'm curious how I'll be when I get back at it which I hope is real soon.