Monday, December 31, 2007

Saying Goodbye to 2007

Another year has passed us by, and I now look back and reflect if ever so briefly on the year that was 2007.

Since this is a running blog I focus mostly on the year in running, but I've tossed in some other memorable items that are special to me and will live in the year 2007.

I ran the fewest races in a year since 2003, completing only 8 of them.My first race of the year was a 30k and set the tone for 2007 when I PR'ed and then sliced 13 minutes off my marathon PR in Cincinnati in May. Even though I will look at the Flying Pig as a disappointment overall, many factors came into play on that one including the loss of our dog Mesa just days before leaving.

A week after returning from Cincinnati I ran the Komen Race for the Cure with my buddy "Pro" and finished with my slowest 5k time ever. Mostly because I had severe tendinitis in my ankle and because I was running with him and had no concern for time.

I also set a PR in the 10k at the Daily American in Somerset on the same day I flew to Boston. A few days later I saw my first baseball game at Fenway Park.

On the 4th of July I smashed by 15k PR by over 13 minutes and was running as solid as I felt I had ever run. Two weeks later I ran a great 5k (not a PR) in Indiana and felt I was peaking on July 21. That would turn out to be somewhat true as another injury be felled me the next week and I would suffer through a horrific month at the beginning of training for the Philadelphia Marathon.

In October I ran a 15k in Delaware, which became a new state for me to run in and although the conditions were very poor (hazy hot and humid) I was able to mentally get myself set for the Philly Marathon. That race would define 2007 missing a BQ by :04 seconds and set my sights on 2008 and what lies ahead.

As the year winds down to its final few hours I think about the new injuries I've worked through, the knowledge I've gained and the year older I've become. I look back at a year that was both challenging and rewarding in so many ways. In addition, I ran my 5,000th mile all-time and refereed in my 1,300th and 1,400th hockey game all-time. I accomplished so much more in my professional life and our family gained another dog (Vee).

With midnight nearly here I begin to think about what I'd like 2008 to bring. Sure, I've got plans already to run in Frederick in May. I have Opening Day tickets to the Pirates in April and have already booked our vacation in June. But like every other year there is much to be unexpected and that is what makes life worth living.

I look forward to the possibilities, working through difficulties and becoming a stronger runner and person. I wish all who might come across and read this good health, good luck and a Happy New Year. Until tomorrow when I post some of my goals for the new year, stay safe.

No comments: