Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Season Ends; Year is Next

With their 30-17 loss to the San Diego Chargers, the Oakland Raiders season came to an end in uneventful fashion at 4-12. Something I have not talked about much on this blog is the fact that I am a lifelong Raider fan.

Part of the reason I went to Direct TV this summer was in large part to be able to get Sunday NFL Ticket and watch the team I've rooted for since I was six years old. Back then, in 1976, the year after the Raiders won their first Super Bowl, I became a Raider fan because of my uncle Tom. He has been a die hard longer than me, and one day at my grandma's for lunch I witnessed an argument between he and my dad that my uncle clearly won. It was that day I decided to go with Uncle Tom and began bleeding silver and black.

This season was special because I saw 15 of the 16 games (the lone exception being a loss against the Vikings because I was in Philadelphia running a marathon; go figure). I watched 13 of those games with Uncle Tom and with the season ending I am sad. It ends a weekly ritual that I will look forward to in 2008.

With the end of anything it makes you wonder about the past and the future. Tonight I began thinking about next year and what will be different. It is the end of one thing and the beginning of something else.

Much like the end of 2007 tomorrow night I will once again think back to a 2007 that was pretty much a successful year. I will also begin thinking of the future and what will 2008 bring?

Until tomorrow when I close the books on 2007 and Tuesday when I open the pages to a brand new year......

No comments: