Friday, December 7, 2007

Fred + Rick = Boston

After nearly three weeks of considering what to do next, I have made up my mind. I'm going to Frederick, Maryland for the Frederick Marathon the first weekend in May.

I have not made it official yet as I await the pending USATF Certification that will make it a Boston qualifier, but I'm nearly 100% certain that's where it will be.

I gave strong consideration to "Last Chance at Boston" in Columbus, Ohio (February) and the B&A Trail Marathon (March), but I want to make sure that I'm not limited in training and with unpredictable winter weather, I have settled on Frederick. It seems to be a little less than flat, but that should motivate me to work on the hills.

I plan on hitting hills heavy and doing much more speedwork than I'm used to in preparation for this one. I'm awful close, and am as confident as I've ever been. I just need to put in the work. Whether or not it's a hangover from Philly or that I'm simply working too much I've been tired and feel sluggish and not completely getting all of my runs in. Perhaps I needed to take more time off, so I'm playing it by ear. With a marathon selected and the holidays coming up, I'm going to take it easy. I'll run, but I'm also going to rest. Yesterday was 10 degrees and I am in a stretch of three consecutive nights of refereeing, so I didn't run yesterday. I need my batteries re-charged, but I remain focused on the goal. But I need to be smart. I look forward to the challenge that those two guys will provide me with. And I'm planning that they (Fred and Rick) will get me to Boston.

149 days to go.....

No comments: