Sunday, December 9, 2007

1,400 and 5,000

As we inch closer to the Xmas Holiday season; which is perhaps my favorite time of year, I am inching toward a couple of personal milestones of significance. It is sheer irony that these two milestones will happen within a couple of days of each other.

If all goes according to plan this week I will officiate my 1,400th hockey game on Thursday evening at Planet Ice Arena. Then, on Saturday I will run a special short run that will take me past my 5,000th mile of all time.

When I began officiating back in 1996 I initially had no aspirations or goals of any kind. Shortly after, I decided that I would like to referee in 1,000 games. Having surpassed that milestone I have established 2,000 as my next goal. In a stunning similarity I never intended on much when I began running, but after awhile the marathon became the goal. Now, obviously the Boston Marathon has become my ultimate accomplishment. In the meantime I have accidentally come upon this number that I find fascinating. I will have run across the United States and then some since 2002. Now that I'm hear, I have plenty left to go and would not only like to get to Boston but 10,000 miles seems like a nice realistic number for me to shoot for in the future.

No comments: