Sunday, August 5, 2007

When the Going Gets Tough

The tough get patient. That is perhaps one of the toughest things to do. Waiting out an injury and being patient is not my forte, but it has become the necessary evil of long distance running. My latest, a bout with plantar fasciitis (I now know the correct spelling) has me very impatient. Although it has been less than a week, I have difficulty not running. I am anxious to get my training back on track, but know that the best I can do is wait. I should be out on my Sunday long run right now, but instead I do the next best thing. Sit here and write about it.

I have been on the bike and will be doing that again today, perhaps even dipping in the pool and swimming some laps, which I absolutely hate. But I will try to maintain my level of fitness and do the best I can with my foot. What I hate the most is the uncertainty that every single step brings. Will I feel that sharp stabbing pain that I felt on Monday and Tuesday? It's much duller (if that is a word) now, but still comes and goes. I walk babying it, but do not want to suffer any kind of setback. Even the smallest of walking distances without having my "needles" is a positive that I grasp onto and hope that I am getting better. I feel like I'm improving, but not as fast or as well as I want to be.

So the time ticks by and I look at the calendar and am at least thankful that it happened now. I plan and re-plan and adjust. Perhaps I should do less of that and get going when my body says it's o.k. to go. Then do what feels right. Perhaps the best approach to this next marathon will be less planning and more feeling? It's more mind games like this that I consider with each passing day. I just hope these thoughts become reality sooner rather than later.

No comments: