Saturday, August 18, 2007

Totally In Tune

What have I learned over the past couple of weeks? As tomorrow marks 3 weeks down of training for Philadelphia; leaving 13 weeks to go, I have struggled with the fact that my foot feels o.k. 95% of the time. Over the past two weeks I have reinforced in my mind something that I've known for quite awhile. I am very in tune with my body. I can tell that I am not ready to go full out marathon training yet. I know that I cannot even begin to think about running again.

Last weekend I did 3 miles and was very excited. I did it pain free. But I pushed it, and tried to go out Sunday as well. I didn't wait long enough and didn't build up slowly enough and as a result I struggled again on Monday at work. And although the stabbing pains left me a lot quicker this week, I do not want to have another setback.

So I struggle with wanting to get going. Anxious like a child in the days leading up to Christmas. Wanting to go. Wanting to run. Feeling good enough to run, but in tune enough to know that I must continue to be patient and miserable.

I think perhaps 1 mile tomorrow and a gradual build up from scratch. I try to balance the fact that I've got limited time for Philadelphia and cannot afford the patience that I now know that I need. So I'll take a shot at it and do as gradual as I can, and will do the best I can knowing somewhere in the deep part of my mind that Philadelphia may not be possible. I've got to take it one day at a time, but still live in reality knowing that I need to be smart.

Simply another challenge for me. And yet another side of running that I knew existed but haven't had to deal with much. This is perhaps the worst. A pain free injury? Yes. More like a discomfort that I don't want becoming pain riddled. Amazing.....

No comments: