Friday, April 20, 2007

Tick Tock Taper....

The final two weeks. Incredible. Much like the event I'm taking part in on May 6, the training itself is a marathon of sorts. I began my journey for the third time on January 7 and it will culminate in Cincinnati in just 16 days.

The same questions and conerns are with me that were with me the first two times. But as a "veteran" (I still have to laugh about that one) of marathon running I have a history that I can draw upon. I know what to expect. Does that make it better? In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. Sometimes not knowing what to expect helps to make the journey seem a little more exciting.

Ghost pains are already starting. I've settled on an extra week of tapering. The first two times I used 3 weeks to get ready. This time, I'm using 4. This weekend I'll do my final speed workout just to keep my mind strong and focused.

The final two weeks are hell. There is anticipation, excitement, worry and father time seems to slow to a snail pace. But I am focused. Focused on one task. One number. One goal. Like a child in the backseat I will ask myself repeatedly, "am I there yet?"

No comments: