Monday, April 23, 2007

A Picture of Irritability

Ask my wife. She'll tell you. I'm irritable. Everything seems to bother me. Perhaps the pressure is getting to me. Maybe it's that I'm not running as much. Whatever the reason, I have slipped into this funk of irritate that I cannot describe.

There is no doubt that since my taper started, I have gotten edgy. I don't remember being like this the first few times around, but I am certain that the two are related.

Saturday morning, as I was complaining about something stupid (I'm sure, but I can't remember), she told me to "go run it off". That's when I realized that perhaps I haven't been myself. I don't know why I'm stressing. That's a lie. I want so badly to qualify for Boston and I wonder if I've done enough. Have I trained hard enough? Am I ready? Will this extra taper week help me or inevitably be my downfall?

It's hard to answer those questions, because there is only one way to find out. I hope I can contain this irritation for a few more days. By then, I hope that anticipation and excitement will replace their ugly cousin. I'm even irritating myself. I didn't realize that I was also tapering my tolerance......

No comments: