Sunday, April 15, 2007

Changing Priorities

It is amazing how quickly things can change. As I sit here lamenting about my final double digit run of training before the marathon; which is now just three short weeks away, I can't help but think of a thought I had earlier this week.

One year ago this week I was in the midst of training for my first marathon. I had no idea what to expect, and like all first-timers my priority and my overall goal was to get through it. Finish. Build up to where I was able to just simply cover the distance. Get it done, get that medal and be able to say, "yes, I've run a marathon".

Throughout that race, my priorities changed to, "maybe I can get this in under 4 hours". I got close, but finished in 4:02:02. Still, I immediately began making plans for marathon #2. As I trained for and eventually completed that second marathon in Baltimore, my priorities again changed. A surprising 3:39:37 finish had me thinking "Boston".

Now as I lament, and wonder the possibilities and see where I am a year later I realize that I am close. Boston is a distinct possibility. So close that the thought of "almost" qualifying haunts me. And although I will be disappointed if I don't do it, I can't help but laugh at myself. 350 days later and instead of "just finishing" I've added the pressure of qualifying for the Boston Marathon. Something that was unthinkable last year.

This makes me wonder where I'll be and what I'll be doing next year at this time. Laugh and the world laughs with you.....

No comments: