Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Countdowns to Raceday

With just over two weeks to go and my heavy and difficult running nearly behind me, I've done some thinking about the best runs I've ever had. With all of the runs I've done over the past five-plus years, it is amazing to me that certain training runs stand out to me nearly as much as certain races do. I could easily rank my top ten races of all time, and I think I'll do that next week in the days leading up to the marathon. But today, I rank my top ten runs of all time.

I based these on a number of different factors, including memorable events that happened during the run (i.e., weather, confrontations with wildlife, or just a general good feeling). A brief description of why it was so memorable follows. And in David Letterman fashion, we start with 10 and work up to the #1 run of all time (race and non-race):

#10 September 16, 2006
19.5 mile run with my neighbor, Ron Mock. To this day, it is the only training run I have ever gone on with another person. I'm a solo runner, and like it that way. Although, it was a nice change and something I needed at the time to prepare for my 2nd marathon in Baltimore.

#9 March 9, 2007
5.25 miles on my home treadmill. I did seven half mile splits and progressively got faster each time. At the time, it was a near perfect Yasso 800 workout.

#8 July 6, 2002
How can I leave out my first race ever. Whalley Memorial 5 miler. I completed the course in 39:21. I look at that as a slow time now, but then I broke 40 minutes and was ecstatic.

#7 February 15, 2007
7 mile training run at 6:00 a.m. The temperature was 2 degrees with a minus-18 degree wind chill. Still the coldest day I have ever run in.

#6 February 16, 2006
6 mile training run. I ran around "the mound" in Westmont by the Johnstown Inclined Plane. Two deer were on the hill that I hadn't noticed until I was next to them. They stood very still and I could only see their shadow in front of a full moon. One of the most unbelievable things I have seen while running.

#5 March 30, 2006
8 mile training run. I had refereed two games in a National Tournament in Pittsburgh and drove home to get this run in during the evening. Despite being tired and high humidity, I felt great when I got done. One of the best night's of sleep in my life.

#4 February 23, 2006
6 mile training run. I ran head on into a skunk. We startled each other silly and carefully went around one another and went on our respective ways. Wonder what ever happened to that guy!

#3 April 30, 2006
First 20 mile run ever. High pollen gave me a hacking cough the final two miles, but two things came of that day. I knew I could run a marathon after that, and I woke up the next day with no leg soreness at all.

#2 May 21, 2006
First marathon ever: Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon. Cleveland, OH. The entire experience was amazing, especially the finishing stretch. Wanted to break 4 hours, but came across the finish line in 4:02:02.

#1 October 14, 2006
Under Armour Baltimore Marathon. Baltimore, MD. With only 11 weeks of training, it was the ultimate test of my ability. A perfect weather day that started around 38 degrees and finished around 53. Beautiful sunshine and shortly after beginning I realized I was going to shatter the time I set 5 months earlier. Finished in 3:39:37. Gave me the idea that I could actually qualify for Boston.

Next week....Top 10 Races of All Time.

No comments: