Saturday, April 28, 2007

Planning for the Unexpected

It never seems to fail. Something unexpected always seems to happen in the weeks and days leading up to the 'big race'. In Cleveland, it was horrific calf pain just 2 days before (the night before and morning of, I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to run 2 miles, let alone 26.2).

A week ago, as I was taking my left contact out, I felt a sharp stinging pain that I described as "sand in my eye". After about 4 days of wearing my glasses and running in them I decided to head to the eye doctor.

Turns out I pulled a piece of my cornea off my eye that night. Another week in glasses and an antibiotic and hopefully I can wear contacts again. I cannot envision running a marathon with glasses on. I've talked about "running blind" or running with only one contact. Anything but glasses the entire time.

My follow-up is 4 days before the marathon. I can only hope that it heals in time. For the first time I'm heading into a big one with few aches and pains and few concerns about my lower body. Now, the eyes have it. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

No comments: