Friday, April 6, 2007

A Matter of Perspective

I'm an active person by nature. So it's no surprise that I thrive with the rugged schedule that marathon training can create. Running is also a monotonous activity that needs to be kept fresh with different types of running. When training for a marathon over 16 or 17 weeks it can get tough mentally as I've made fairly clear in previous posts here.

In addition to running, I do quite a lot of other things. I am an adjunct instructor for several colleges and this spring I am teaching the equivalent of 10 credits, while maintaining my normal work schedule, marathon training and refereeing (which is thankfully over).

I've been teaching for 6 years, and after class Wednesday something happened to me that has never happened before. One of my female students waited to speak with me and disclosed to me that the reason she hasn't been in class the last couple of weeks is because she has cancer. It seems to me that her odds of beating this disease are good, but that doesn't make it seem easier.

Here is a 22 year old young woman, living on her own and she is concerned with telling me why she has been absent lately. I felt bad and happy for her at the same time. The fact that she is so concerned with finishing school and keeping up on her studies in light of facing a life threatening illness speaks volumes for this young woman. I drove home sad and wondering where justice is in something like that. And it made me realize just how precious life can be.

As my mileage reaches its pinnacle this week and my body is broken down, I find strength when I think of this courageous young woman. After all, life is something that should be celebrated. And come May 6 when I slip across that finish line, I will celebrate; Boston qualified or not.

No comments: