Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fun With Statistics

Perhaps I've found another way to help pass the time. I already plan on posting the top 10 races of all time that I've run. But before I disclose those, I thought it would be interesting to provide some statistics that I find simply mind-boggling at times.

As I complete my training for the Flying Pig over the next two weeks, I will have run 434.7 miles in training; including the marathon. That is more than 50 miles greater than either of the first two.

So as my mind looks for things to keep me busy, I wondered where those miles could take me.

Here are some approximate distances from my hometown of Johnstown, PA to:

Pittsburgh, PA - 65.4 miles (6 trips back and forth)
Philadelphia, PA - 203.4 miles (2 trips)
Baltimore, MD - 142.7 miles (almost 3)
Cleveland, OH - 168.8 miles (2 1/2)
Indianapolis, IN - 382.3 miles (once with change)
Chicago, IL - 464.3 miles (almost....)

But perhaps in a turn of karma, and something I'll use to assist my mental state leading up to this marathon is this tiny little fact (and I swear I didn't try to do this).

Johnstown, PA to Boston, MA........ 432.6 miles. Did you just get chills? I did.

No comments: