Saturday, April 25, 2009

Amazing Business

Despite all common sense telling me to do otherwise, I awoke this morning and decided to go run a 5k. The Wings of Hope 5k race was taking place about 2 1/2 miles from my house. Since road races that close don't come up that often and because the weather was nice and because I figured the course would be flat, and because I ran 3 miles in training on Thursday morning I figured I'd ignore common sense.

I planned on holding myself back so I didn't aggravate an "achy" knee (hey, achy is a step up). But lo and behold there I sat amongst a group of four runners near the 1-mile mark. I even led for a few seconds. By the time we hit the turnaround I was still sitting in 3rd place. How could I not push it?

In the final mile, my lack of training caught up with me and I became winded and slowed. I was passed but finished as strong as I could coming in 4th place overall. Amazing as it was to me approaching the finish line I saw that I was going to PR (personal record) for the second time in less than a year at the 5k distance. This, after going 4 years trying to beat my previous best.

I wonder if the course was short since I shattered my previous best by a whopping 0:19. I wonder if all the rest I've had helped keep me strong enough throughout to make it possible. I won't question it. I've added it to the wall of PR's on this site and my log book. I am happy. Seeing where I came from just 2 months ago I have no choice but to celebrate it.

19:30 finish time! Today, I'm in the amazing business.

2 comments:

Sara said...

hey, i still take a PR even if i think the course is short. congratulations on a kick-a$$ race!

Brett said...

Congrats on the PR - good to see you're back racing.