Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stupidity Has A Name
















And his name is me. Despite all the common sense in the world telling me not to even attempt a half-marathon today (I had only run the 5k distance in the past six months and only 40 miles since January 1), I decided to head out onto the streets of Pittsburgh to prove......who really knows? My knee issues had subsided for the most part after getting treatment for a week or so, but Friday afternoon issues with my broken foot came out of nowhere. It was the stabbing shooting pain that comes when twisting or turning a certain way. Not constant, but enough that common sense should have taken over. But like always, it didn't.

Survival is how I describe today. I went into this half with the same thought process and intention that I had in my first marathon in Cleveland back in 2006. Just get through it. Run it and know that I can still do it. Risky? You bet. But I had help. We met up with a high school friend at the spaghetti dinner on Saturday night and his wife Kris was doing the full marathon. Her intended pace was going to be around 9:30. Almost a full 2:00 slower than my normal marathon pace, but I decided that perhaps we could help each other out. I offered to pace her for nearly a half and so that's what we did. I met up with her and two of her friends and I was their pacer and distraction.

I decided that if I could get through 10 miles, I would "run", no "race" the final 5k. It worked like a charm. We paced out to about an hour and 36 minutes (just slightly slower than their 9:30 intentions) for just over 10 miles. It was there that I said good bye, good luck and I was off to make up some time. Despite some discomfort in my foot and knee(s) I wanted to break 2:00. I got close, and made up enough time to cross in 2:01:35. The crazy thing about that time is that it is just a few seconds slower than half of my time from Cleveland (4:02:02). I suppose mission accomplished, but if stupidity had a name today, it would have shared it with me.
















Finish line is across the river in front of the convention center. The Pens playoff beard is in full swing.

3 comments:

Sara said...

i was wondering about you and what you were going to do today. :) anyway congrats on the race and i hope the foot doesn't bother you too much over the next few days--it looks like it was really nice outside so i probably wouldn't have been content to run the 5k only either :)

Vince said...

It was either the half or the full. No 5k in Pittsburgh. I was at the start line wondering if it was the smart thing to do, but decided to give it a go. A little discomfort today but it's actually better than it was on Friday. It might just be something I'll have to deal with for awhile.

Tim said...

Nice Vinny!
You should have told me you were going to be there...I would have tried to find you at the start or finish. That first picture you have on this post is right near where I started.
I got through the full with only minor pain in my foot so I was happy...knocked 25 minutes off my first marathon time too...still slow by your standards though!
Congrats and I hope to see you at the Altoona 4th of July 15K!

Sheehan