Sunday, May 31, 2009

10/25/08 A Great Day

The last "great" running day I had was on October 25, 2008. It was the day of my 11th wedding anniversary. I awoke and decided to run the Red Cross Vampire 5k. Even though it rained torrentially at times I still went out and had a great run. Now "great" is a relative term. Sometimes you feel great, but you can feel worse than other days when you wouldn't have said you feel great. My point being that like most of the English language we describe things in ways that can usually make no sense.

Not today. Today was what I would deem my first "great" running day since October 25, 2008. Seven months and one week to the day (put together you've got 71 so I expect Evgeni Malkin to have a GREAT night tonight drawing the Penguins even with the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals).

I went out with the intentions of going nice and easy and continuing to build a base that I can draw upon in a few weeks when Chicago training begins. By the time I finished I hit the stopwatch and continued to walk down the alley behind my house. I immediately said, "I feel great". No pain in any part of my body for the first time in awhile and I went fairly hard for a Sunday long run of 5 miles (37:37).

I may have another setback. In fact, I expect one at some point. But for today I can say that I feel great. It really gives you the perspective and the necessary mindset to not take any day for granted.

Let's hope today is also a Great Day for Hockey in the city of Pittsburgh.

No comments: