Sunday, June 7, 2009

What a Beautiful Day for a Run...Let's Do Two!

It had been since September of 2008 until today. Today was the day I decided to go for a run for the second day in a row. Most impressive was that yesterday I did 6 miles in the afternoon and then turned around with 4 today in the late morning. That's 10 miles in less than 24 hours and two consecutive days. People do it all the time, but for me today was a major milestone in my comeback from a broken navicular bone. It's almost as if the stars are aligning since my official Chicago Marathon training begins next Monday. I felt that I needed to be doing at least 8 mile long runs by the time that training started and although I have only done 6, I feel as though I could easily do 10 right now. As a result, my confidence grows and I am on track. Pain is always right around the next corner, but for now I have put it behind me and am feeling fairly healthy as I get ready for the next 17 weeks of training that I hope culminates in a Boston qualifier. Hey, I'll take finishing, but as I continue to find out in life and sports in general, never say never and never put anything out of reach. Anything is possible if you work hard and that's what I intend to do.

4 comments:

Brett said...

Vince,

I've checked in here every now and then to see how you've been progressing and its great to see that the foot seems to be healing so well.

Hope the Chicago training goes well. Maybe we can get a run in together next month when I'm back to see Tracy and Jim and the baby. If not, I'll buy you a beer in Chi-town.

Best of luck,
Brett Shaffer

Brett said...

By the way, which 17-week program are you basing your training on?

Thanks,
Brett

Vince said...

I'm doing a hybrid of the Beginner and Intermediate Nike plans off of the Chicago website (I always throw my own spin on any plan off the web anyway). It seems to fit my current schedule the best. I've also decided to cut out beer once training starts, so a beer in Chi-town would be great. Get in touch when you come in. I don't mind a little company especially on longer runs.

Bert said...

Vince, hi

Good to see that you are definitely on the comeback trail! Haven't checked you blog in a while but 10 miles in less than 24 hrs is a heckuva lot more than you were doing a year or so ago! Good luck with the training for Chicago.