Monday, April 13, 2009

Opening Day

As has been our tradition for the past nine years, Becky and I went to PNC Park today for the Pirates home opener. As I continue to recover from runner's knee I've taken to walking on the lighter surface of the treadmill and this morning was no different.

As we walked across the Clemente Bridge today and saw the banner draped over the bridge with the Pittsburgh Marathon on it, I questioned how stupid it will be for me to attempt to run a half-marathon in just under three weeks. I know I shouldn't, but something tells me that I can hold myself back from running it competitively and simply move myself over the 13.1 miles at an easy and relaxing pace. I question deep within whether or not I can do that. I always have the best of intentions, but my competitive fires burn very hot.

Part of me feels like the best thing to do would be to simply back out altogether. But part of me wants to experience Pittsburgh so badly. I waited for years for the marathon to come back. It kills me that I can't do the full marathon this year, and I at least want to do the half. Having only run just over 24 miles this year so far, the wise thing to do would be to back out. I have no idea when I might try running again; although this Thursday is my plan. The knee is feeling better but there is still some pain in there going down steps. I can squat a little further which is a good gauge. My issue is time. But then again....I'm a runner. Time is always an issue for me.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Vinny,
I think your string of bad luck has finally rubbed off on me. I have been having pain in my foot for a few weeks but have been able to run thru it until I did my last long run this past Saturday (20 miles) when the pain became unbearable and I had to either walk or limp-run the last couple of miles. I could barely walk on Sunday and today doesn't feel much better either, unfortunately. I am hoping it's not a stress fracture but I am going to the foot doc on Thursday to get it checked out. I will be devastated too if I can't run Pittsburgh after training for it....

Sheehan

Sara said...

i can't say i blame you for wanting to run the half-marathon, but i know it would also be very tough to just leisurely run any race. (my last race, the day before my diagnosis, was a trail 25k, begrudgingly not the 50k i had planned on running. some chic tried to pass me in the last 100ft and i kicked it into high gear to show her exactly who i was.)

i don't know when the race is, but if you do run it, please please please be careful. i don't want to hear about any re-injuries :) i had to run to catch the bus yesterday and i was a little worried that i would aggravate my leg, but i also didn't want to have to wait for another bus. ugh.

sorry for the long rambly comment ... good luck with your decision :)

Vince said...

Appreciate the posts. Keep 'em coming. Today's new post will speak volumes.