Friday, April 10, 2009

Surprised? No.

After struggling through what might have been the longest winter of my life waiting for a broken foot to heal, I was waiting for the time when I could get back to "normal" activity. For me, that meant getting back on the ice to officiate hockey and back on the roads running.

Slowly but surely nature took its course. My foot improved enough for me to begin skating on the final day of January and over the next two months I was able to gradually put the pain behind me and build up to running again. Slow and short at first, but then back outside in the elements and faster and longer.

But like the rest of this dark period that has now stretched on into a sixth month, it has become anything but easy. I suppose I should have expected it. A case of runner's knee has left me waiting once again for the healing to take place. This won't take months for sure, but the fact that my foot is 100% and I was beginning to get back into a nice rhythm has me frustrated once again. Only this time, using the stationary bike is not an option. So I wait; again. Am I surprised? No. Not at all. I can only hope that a week of rest will knock it out and I can finally get myself on a path of building instead of recovering. I've had enough of the latter to last me a lifetime.

No comments: