Monday, January 19, 2009

No Celebration Here; Well Maybe a Little

With the Pittsburgh Steelers winning yesterday and getting another trip to the Super Bowl one thing is for certain; there is no celebration in my house. Without going into great detail, the hatred that I hold deep in my sould for this franchise runs so deep I can barely determine whether I love my team more than I hate them. But I digress.

Today was a bit of a day of celebration, but I'm keeping my growing confidence in check. I am simply building up my strength and testing my foot out a little more each day. Today I walked two miles. Amazing to me that a 2-mile walk causes me such excitement. Contained excitement, but I do feel good about it. With each workout, I deal with a bit of pain and discomfort but nothing horrific. I have even secretly run a few times since my New Year's Day debacle. I have learned how to remain patient. My runs are done at or around the 10:00/mile pace (I'm used to 7:30-8:00 paces) and I have only run two more times since. Once I ran 1/4 of a mile and the next time I ran 1/2 mile. I will gradually build upon that as my foot allows me.

In regards to returning to the ice, I am also being patient. Perhaps too patient for my liking, but I have visions of working a few games throughout the month of February. Normally a time that I am preparing for a playoff run, I am not sure where I am this season. Perhaps I will not work the playoffs. Perhaps I will make a deep run into the playoffs. Who knows. What I am doing is literally taking it one step at a time. I have a greater good to be concerned about and have been very proud of myself for remaining patient and doing this correctly.

As for football season. I think I will make plans to do something else on Super Bowl Sunday. It eats at me like cancer to see all of the bandwagon fans surrounding me like flies on a carcass. Watching might be too much to bear. Go Cardinals.

No comments: