Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Unique Experience


So I got up today and decided to go to Indiana (about a 35 minute drive) to take part in the Citizens Helping Citizens 5k race. I felt pretty good when I awoke.


For a change I was nice and early. So I flipped on the television and saw a documentary on the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team. I've seen it before, but today it would help play a role in my run.


The 9:00 a.m. race got under way and we were off. Running through the streets of Indiana (the home of Jimmy Stewart) and eventually onto a grassy hillside and on a race track (for cars) and through a swimming area, a parking lot and then back through some more of the campus of the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Needless to say, it was by far the most unique race I have run in. Well, one of the most unique.


Coming up for the final mile, I digged down knowing that I would be close to 20:00. I had intended on doing between 20:00 and 21:00, but then I had hopes for a PR. My PR in a 5k is 20:04. After today it still is. But I knew that I had company behind me and knew that I would be close to a "medal". I race against myself, but when push comes to shove, I don't want to lose a medal like I had done in the 4th of July 15k (by a mere :03).


On the final push, I drew from the emotions I felt and saw in the documentary earlier in the day and crossed the finish line in 20:18. Good for 1st in the 30-39 age group and one of the most unique awards I've ever gotten (pictured here). I am amazed that I hadn't seen this before. Irony at it's best. A clock for a great time!

No comments: