Thursday, July 26, 2007

"That's a Boston mile!"

Motivation comes in crazy ways to crazy people like us runners. For me, like most runners I will use motivational quotes, listen to music on my ipod that motivates me and in general my thoughts. Thoughts of qualifying for Boston. Thoughts of a PR or a great run. Many other thoughts too numerous to post here.



Recently I began a habit of saying, "that's a Boston mile" every time I run a mile in 7:29 or less. See, if I run 26.2 miles at an average pace of 7:29 per mile I qualify for Boston. It's that simple. So I have begun the arduous process of teaching my body to run longer faster. And part of that process is being able to post longer and longer runs of 7:29 miles one after another.



So about a week ago, when I time my runs, when I finish a mile in 7:29 or less, I say "that's a Boston mile". It started in my head. In my thoughts. But recently I've begun saying it aloud. Hearing it makes it more real somehow. At first I worried if people were out and heard me that it might sound stupid. But I don't run for them. And honestly, I don't really care what people think of me. I'm on a mission. That's all that really matters. And with the fall just ahead of us, and the days getting shorter, not many folks are outside to hear me anyway.



Strung together 4 times, "that's a Boston mile" would equal 29:56. After doing four miles in 28:28 this morning, that was a Boston run. Now I just need to do that same thing 5 1/2 more times in a row on the same day. No problem.

No comments: