Sunday, July 29, 2007

And Away We Go

Sixteen weeks, and it will all be over with. Philadelphia training is upon me.

A final long run of 11.5 miles today in a hot, humid sticky soup was all that stood between me and Philly training. I got it in, and barely. I learned today that I am a cooler weather runner. It has not been that hot or humid most of the summer and today was just brutal. After a 3 mile out and back put me halfway done, I began an opposite 3 mile out and back that was just brutal. I hadn't felt that awful since the final 4 miles in Cincinnati.

I obviously ran the first half too fast and after struggling through the first three miles, I worked my way back to the house glad that I hadn't passed out from heat exhaustion.

After an afternoon of recovery in the air conditioned comfort of the house and a good supper, I can say that I am ready for this next sixteen weeks. I have no idea if it will be good, bad or indifferent. I have no idea what challenges lie ahead. I just know that I've got miles in front of me and I am excited at the uncertainty. It is a good feeling to have a schedule and prepare for what I have coined the most important race so far. Will I end up in Boston come Sunday, November 18, 2007? Check back in 16 weeks and the answer will be right here on this page. That chapter hasn't been written yet, but it will be written between now and then.

No comments: