Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Playing a Waiting Game

Ok, so I ran a 5k race with a friend and for breast cancer research this past Sunday. It wasn't the wisest of things to do, but I don't really think I did any further damage to what I believe is an issue with my posterior tibialis tendon on my right ankle.

So, let's review. I ran the marathon on Sunday, May 6 after a week off due to a painful piriformis muscle. Then, on Wednesday May 9 I ran about 1/4 mile with our new greyhound up the hill in front of my house. I had noticed and knew my ankle was sore, but it wasn't awful.

I continued to struggle with it and was fearful I wouldn't be able to run the 5k that I had committed to a few months ago. When my friend Mike guaranteed me that he was around a 29-30 minute finish, I figured "no big deal". As it turns out, that's what it was for the most part.

But then Monday morning I decided to take some time off and schedule an appointment. I've got my appointment on Monday next week and in the interim I'm following my own strict guidelines of NO RUNNING. It's painful (well, not necessarily the ankle as much anymore, but not getting out on the roads). I knew I would struggle, and I am. It's like a drug problem. My high comes from running. But looking at the bigger picture I suppose I need this short rehab session. Well, at least I hope it's short. I suppose I'm also going to have to come back slowly when that time comes. Yet another challenge.

In the meantime, I'll pray for good news on Monday.

No comments: