Monday, December 1, 2008

A Broken Foot, But My Spirit is Fine

It took me nearly two weeks, but I have come to grips with my situation. That situation came as a result of an innocent hockey play that happens hundreds of times a season. A puck that would have done no or little damage had it gone 3 inches to the right or left of where it was. But as it is, it hit me directly in a spot that was perfectly placed and broke a bone in my foot.

My life has been quite different these past five weeks. Looking back I've been through a lot. A lot of it mental. A lot more of it physical. But as I near the two week mark of my rehabilitation I realize how lucky I am and how quickly life can change.

I broke a bone in my foot. I'm not permanently crippled. I didn't lose a limb. I haven't been financially affected so badly that it will cause me irreparable harm. Obviously, those things could have made it much much worse.

As I rode the stationary bike today I thought about some of those aforementioned scenarios and others. What happens to a runner who suddenly loses their eyesight? A runner who loses a limb? An athlete that suffers a career ending injury? It happens all the time. As an athlete I realize that you certainly can't be careful. If you go out fearing all the bad things that can go wrong, you won't be at your best.

After coming to grips with this situation I look forward to getting back to running. I look forward to getting back on the ice and back to normal. But this injury has given me the respect that I know I must give to the fact that things can change so quick. And if and when I get back to some semblence of normalcy I will probably appreciate all that I can do just a little more. We're all getting older. But we can stay young at heart. But we also must stay diligent and realize what we are and are not capable of. I'm certainly not ready to give up officiating. But I do look at my abilities a little more honestly. This incident was not caused by my lack of ability. To the contrary. But I will return with a sense of honesty knowing that I cannot and will not be able to maintain the same level of skating and running forever. And that is why the here and now is something to be more appreciated everyday. Time stops for no one or nothing. Amazing how time gives you more respect for that very thing. Tick tock tick tock...

No comments: