Sunday, March 30, 2008

Overdoing It? Or Losing a Step?

Did my 5k yesterday. Thought about backing out since I had to referee at 1:00 p.m. But decided to go and had intentions of "holding back" a bit to salvage my energy. Yea, that worked. I started out quickly and never looked back. Even had thoughts of a PR, but within the last half mile determined that wasn't possible. I also knew at that point I had 2nd place overall wrapped up with no chance of gaining or falling so I did pull back; but just a little. Came across in 20:52.

Not sure if it was the race or my schedule this spring or perhaps a combination. I'm also not 100% health wise as I'm battling a little congestion again. But after a very successful day working the Class AA state championship game I left feeling good but also a little concerned. I got tired. That also happened during the district tournament and prior to that the state tournament. At 37 years old and in my 13th year I may be slowing down.

I'll work hard over the summer and tinker with my skates and how they are sharpened and go into next year with a good attitude. But I finished the season yesterday feeling as if maybe for the first time in a long time I slowed as the season wore down. I also think that maybe being off for 10 days and not skating in a 3-man system for 13 days contributed.

Nevertheless I am done with another season. With 5 weeks until Frederick I will focus on running and prepping for this race. I'm definitely also going to take it easy and let my body recuperate a little bit. Wishful thinking.....

1 comment:

Tim said...

Vinny,
I think you work too many games...cut back by a few here and there next year and you'll be fresh at the end of the season when you want to be.

Also check this link out....I thought of you when I read it.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/2d5c47ede96b440e82e34271ec339f29

Sheehan