Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Oh, Where...Oh, Where....

Have I been?
Let's see. Skating. A lot. And all over. Yes, this is a running blog. And yes, I'm preparing for a marathon that I will run in 6 1/2 weeks. But March has come in like a lion and continued to roar for me.

Officiating has taken the forefront for the past three weeks. March is usually a bit crazy but this has been really crazy. After not working on March 1 (the date of my last post and you can read what fun I had the night before), I began a string of five consecutive nights on the ice. I got the 7th of March off and then worked four more in a row. After a two day break I spent this past weekend in Indianapolis working six games in three days for the Mid-Am Districts. I finally completed my string of nightmare by going to Pittsburgh last night and worked the AA Penguin Cup Championship game between Latrobe and Franklin Regional (a 3-2 OT win for Latrobe).

Needless to say I've been extremely stretched to the limits of my abilities and fatigue has been a major factor. I have questioned my health, but write it off as simply insanity times ten and I just need time off. Time off is what I have taken. Because of multiple game tournaments I have not had either speedwork or long runs the past couple of weekends in preparing for my marathon. I remember now why I said I wouldn't do a spring marathon again. I have thought about backing out, but with 6 1/2 weeks to go I will not make that decision until I see how training rebounds over the next two weeks. I am scheduled for the state championship on 3/29, but do not lace up skates until then. Now I should be able to focus for the next ten days and gauge where I am physically. If I am not up to par, I will make a tough decision on April 1. But until then, I press on.

Since I like to have fun with numbers. A quick summary of the first 18 days of March, 2008:
  • worked 13 of 17 nights (March 2 through March 18)
  • 20 games in those 13 nights
  • 9 different rinks

No wonder I'm tired. Also posting a pic or two from Indianapolis. Overall, a fun trip and would do it again.


No comments: