Friday, March 21, 2008

A New Record

Well, went out on a speed work training run today that consisted of a 1.5 mile warmup, followed by an 800, 1200, mile, mile, 1200 and 800 in that order.

On my first 800 run, I did a 2:55, which was 0:02 seconds faster than my previous fast 800 run. Today was an important day for me, since I've been questioning my readiness for the marathon. This weekend was the first weekend since December that I did not have hockey games and could focus on my training exclusively.

Step 1 is in the books. If I can get through a long slow 15 miler this Sunday fairly unscathed I feel I'll be back on track for the most part and should be able to remove any self-doubt of my ability to get to and through Frederick. I should know better. My training leading up to Philadelphia was awful, and yet it is my PR and 0:04 miss on Boston.

I'll steal a phrase from Oral Roberts University, who lost horribly to Pitt (yes!) on Thursday in the NCAA tournament. "Expect a Miracle". If I qualify, it won't quite be a miracle but it will definitely be a little amazing. But I'm in the business of amazement.

No comments: