Sunday, April 6, 2008

Drop and Give Me Twenty

It's the one before the real one. The dreaded twenty-miler. Over the years, despite my love for running, the 20-miler in prepping for a marathon is not one I particularly look forward to. Oh, early on I enjoyed it. It posed a hurdle to get over and built up the mental well being necessary to get through marathon race day. It still does, but it has become the thorn in the side day during preparation. It's like running a marathon with no support, no onlookers and no medal. Just you and the road.

Yesterday was that day.

I awoke and got on the road by 9:30 knowing that I was looking at a little over 2 1/2 hours of running. I paced myself slow enough (averaged 8:18 miles) to just get it in and done. The temps. were in the mid 30's at the start rising to about 45 by the time I got done. I did my usual 20 mile route. It is a 10-mile loop that I repeat a second time. It's just easier. I leave my gels and water and gatorade on my steps and get my break at the halfway point. Yesterday I sat down and enjoyed a 5-minute break halfway through.

During the first half I struggled with some left hip, knee and foot pain. During the second half I actually got stronger. Despite feeling cruddy afterward, I recovered pretty quickly and this morning I have few ill effects of the run. I decided to do it on a Saturday this time to help extend my weekend a bit. Now I have today to sit back and relax. With four weeks to go to the marathon I have but one more speed session remaining and no runs longer than 10 miles on the horizon until Frederick.

Yesterday gave me the confidence I need that I'll be able to push through another 26.2. Boston qualifier? I have no idea. But one thing is for certain, I will give it the effort and at this point that is all I can control.

No comments: