Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Record, A Milestone and Another First

Today I ran my fifth race of the year in Meyersdale, PA. With springlike temperatures and a flat and fast course I knew that I would PR in the race today. First, it was a 5-mile race which is not a common distance I've run and actually hadn't run in nearly four years. Second, because my normal training runs during the week are typically 5 miles and I have beaten that 4-year old PR almost every time out for the past year or two. So I was fairly confident that today would be a PR day. I just didn't know by how much.

To my surprise, I felt great and was able to absolutely obliterate my old PR (35:45) by over four minutes (31:22). It was good for a fifth place finish overall out of 129 runners and first in my age group for the fourth time in five races this year. Below is the picture of the race shirt, medal, bib and a pint of maple syrup. The race was part of the Meyersdale Maple Festival where maple syrup and maple candies could be bought on every street corner. After the race, I had hot pancakes with Somerset County maple syrup. A delicious way to end today's race event!



Also, I have been caught up in my running so much that I forgot to post a relatively big milestone in my hockey officiating career. Two Thursday's ago I worked my 1,600th hockey game of my career in the Laurel Mountain Hockey League Championship Game. Although the game itself left much to be desired it still is a pretyt big accomplishment that I should have celebrated.

No comments: