Saturday, March 13, 2010

A FIRST!!!


I have been running road races since 2002. I have finished in 2nd place overall once but have never come close to finishing first overall. Today that changed in Somerset, Pennsylvania. Today I ran the Knights of Columbus 5k run and despite the fact that race time temperatures were near 40 degrees with a driving rain and the fact that there were only 29 runners the bottom line is I WON! I beat out 28 other runners and crossed the finish line first. My time of 19:07 was good for my 5th fastest 5k time of all-time, but today it was good enough to win me the plaque to the left and come home with the title of "champion". I was out front almost from the very start and spent the first mile running with the eventual 3rd place winner but like I always do, I thrived on the hills and hung in for a frantic final half-mile with someone on my tail. Fellow IRRC runner Mike Hudac came in behind me but helped push me for the final 1/2 mile or so.
Even though I've been battling chest cold issues all week long and not really wanting to run this morning I perservered and ran a fairly fast time. When doing road races the winners are usually coming in between 15-18 minutes but when the numbers get down like they did today, it opens the door for someone like me who is in that next layer of speed.
It wasn't a victory in a 1,000 participant event. It wasn't pretty. It wasn't done in front of large crowds and not a lot of fanfare came along with it. But I did add a plaque to my collection of medals and I won a race. It may never happen again, but I can now say I won one. How many people really ever get the chance to say that?

1 comment:

Brett said...

Congratulations on the victory, Vince!