Saturday, February 28, 2009

Three to Six Months

I followed up with a second doctor this past week. This time I went to an orthopedic physician. I wanted to know more about what might be going on with my foot. I found it odd that I can skate several hockey games and actually feel better, but when I walk long distances, attempt to run or spend long days on my feet I have residual issues.

What I found out was a catch-22. A CT scan confirmed what the MRI showed and that was that I have a bone that was previously broken that is healed and strengthening. What I also found out was just how serious breaking the navicular bone can be. It is a long process of healing that takes even longer to have all of the surrounding tissue and tendons get back to normal.

According to Doc #2, I have a long process ahead of me and when I pushed him to tell me how much longer it could be for me to get back to what I was doing before, he said it could be three to six more months. I was told to listen to my body. It wasn't great news, but it was news that I needed to hear.

Today I know I am not ready to begin training for a marathon yet, and have written off the Pittsburgh Marathon. My goal becomes getting prepared to run the Chicago Marathon in October. First, I will get through hockey season. That could be another week, two and maybe three at best. Once that has ended (in disappointing fashion due to my limitations), I will focus on getting some rehab for the ankle and foot and perhaps begin jogging a bit to test it out and try to get myself back to normal running. According to the timeline I heard yesterday I will be ecstatic if I can get in a normal training run sometime around the first week of May. And so, on and on it goes.

2 comments:

Tim said...

At least you know there is nothing more serious wrong that might have been missed Vinny...
You'll get there eventually...just keep hanging in there bud!

Sheehan

Vince said...

Thanks Tim. I'm really frustrated by all this, but what can you do? I'm still upright but it's very little consolation for now. Hope to see you at some races this summer, but who knows.