Sunday, February 8, 2009

Another Week, More Frustration, Another Decision

I ran three days this past week. For a total of 1.75 miles. I also skated three more hockey games. And I also struggled with pain in my foot. The frustration that I am dealing with is beyond anything I have dealt with in a very long time. I am not sure what is in pain. Is it the tendons? Muscles? Or is it the bone?

All I know is that since January 12 (now going on a month later) I have been in charge of my treatment, my ongoing diagnosis and my own determination of what I should and should not do.

There are days when I feel as if I'm simply being impatient. There are days when I believe I'm getting better. There are days I wonder if I'll every run again. The waves of emotion and of feeling good and bad are unbelievable.

I find that when I don't do too much I see noticeable improvement in a matter of days. As a result, I've made a decision. I will not run until at least March 1. If it takes longer, it takes longer. I have committed to working a number of hockey games the remainder of the month and I will attempt to keep those and fulfill my commitments, but as far as high level games and working much past the first week or two of March I'm finished. I will give up games if I continue to struggle with my foot without running and will seek medical advice again.

One word keeps coming to mind. Unbelievable.

No comments: