Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hold on a Minute...

With Richmond coming up in sixteen days, I am all of a sudden uncertain whether or not this will be #7 or if that honor will go to Pittsburgh in May. A few things have happened that put this five hour drive south into jeopardy.

As you have already read, our greyhound Vee passed away last Tuesday. The very next day we found out our other greyhound Sam still had a very highly contagious infection that made us question whether or not we wanted to board him with other dogs. It wouldn't be fair. So discussion surrounding a possible cancellation ensued. Not to mention our fear that we had another dog who had an infection that given the worst possible scenario, could kill him.

Fast forward to Friday, we got a bit of good news. Sam's infection is improving, and although he still has it he's not as contagious and shouldn't be a problem boarding with other dogs. Relief settled over us that he's getting better and Richmond was back on.

Until Monday night. That's when I was working my 1,496th career hockey game and was hit on the inside of my left foot. Normally, when you get hit on the foot it's a glancing blow and the stun goes away in a few minutes. This was more solid. It buckled me. And the pain didn't go away. I struggled to skate through 2 1/2 more periods and by the time I hit the locker room and took my skate off, the swelling was there. And yesterday the pain continued with a noticeable limp.

Although I feel better today, my running is "on hold". I want to make sure I don't run on the foot until it's absolutely healed and I have no idea how long that will take. I pray I'll know by Sunday when I'm scheduled to skate again. I pray I can run again by Sunday but I have to establish a drop dead date of next Wednesday to decide whether or not I'm going to Virginia. I hate to cancel, but I also don't want to run a marathon after not running for two weeks. I've got to be able to run at least 3 or 4 more times (lightly). If I can't hit the roads and do it comfortably by next Wednesday (one week from today), I'm out.

In the back of my mind, I feel like someone is trying to tell me something.

No comments: