Monday, May 3, 2010

One To Grow On

PITTSBURGH MARATHON: MAY 2, 2010
Finish Time: 3:30:08


Above: My 8th completed marathon

Above: Inside of PNC Park just outside the bullpens.
Above: Make me a milkshake Malkin! I did another one!

Above: The Wall (at the expo; contained all runner's names)
Above: Somewhere just before Mile 6

Above: Minutes before the start

Above: Me taking the photo of "The Wall" shown above.
Running a marathon can be quite a humbling experience. Running multiple marathons brings experience. Yesterday it was that experience that gave me the ability to know where my limits stand and know when to back off and live to run another day. At the 10 1/2 mile mark of the Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon I knew I had become an experienced marathoner. Running in my eighth such event it was at this point in the race yesterday that I decided that pushing the envelope was something I really didn't need to do. As I had learned in Chicago, I am a cold weather runner. Race time temperatures were only in the upper-60's but the high dew point created a humid morning with a near steady rain.

Just past mile 10 I got the slightest bit light-headed. This, despite making sure I was careful to take on my gels and drink plenty of fluids at each of the aid stations I passed. It wasn't the scariest of moments, but for a split second I did think I was pushing far too hard for the conditions.

Despite my competitive fire, I knew that the "hills" were yet to come and I decided that backing off would not be the worst thing in the world. Besides, I had already gotten my Boston qualifying time in Chicago in October and a PR was not in the cards either. So I readjusted my expectations mid-stream and backed off the gas pedal. I had figured I would finish somewhere between 3:20 and 3:30 before I even arrived in the Steel City. All this meant was I would be looking at a 3:30.

Having crossed the halfway point on pace for a 3:20 I knew I had ten minutes banked to "give back". With the hills of Oakland and beyond still ahead I re-adjusted my thinking and stuck to my plan. I even took two "planned" walk breaks ranging from 0:30-1:00 each to save myself a little. Rewards for keeping my mile splits in the single digits. Despite the negatives and the fact that I wasn't completely happy with the end result immediately upon finishing I still came through the finish chute in 3:30:08. The positives that I learned today. My time was good for 360th of 4,022 runners. I also finished 35th in my age group out of 364 runners. My finish time was also almost an hour faster than the average finish time of 4:27:52. Finishing in the top 10% isn't bad no matter how you slice it. All in all, a good day and one for me to grow on.
Above: The course map at the Expo on Saturday
Above: It was a giveaway towel and yet another White Out at Mellon Arena for Game 2 vs. Montreal. Unfortunately, the good guys lose, 2-1. The end of one memorable day, however

No comments: