Sunday, May 23, 2010

First and Foremost

Had been having some calf issues since the Pittsburgh Marathon and on Friday morning those issues returned again. I battled through it and took some ibuprofen and decided to go to Camp Harmony for the Race Along the Lake 5k. With Chicago and the Soldier Field 10-miler squarely in my sights, I decided to "take it easy" on this one and if my calf screamed stop, that's what I'd do. But as I have become accustomed to doing, I couldn't help myself. I found myself right out front with Jesse, who I met in the first mile of this race. He was doing the 10k and offered to pace me for the first half of my race which was largely downhill. This "out and back" run meant that all of that downhill would suddenly become an "uphill" at the turnaround.

Hard to tell who was pacing who but I decided to just enjoy the first 9:00 minutes or so at a brisk yet comfortable pace. At the turnaround I began the trudge back up the long hill I just descended and quickly realized that I was alone. Halfway back up the hill I realized that I would be a winner of a race for the second time this year. Despite the low turnout and the lack of someone to push me, I used "the hill" as my motivation. As a runner I have learned that I thrive on hills. Despite saying I don't like them.....truth is, I'm made for the hills.

Finished in 19:27 and brought home my second victory of the season. Even better? I decided to purchase my first motorcycle yesterday as well. Although I don't have it in my possession as of yet, I hope to very soon. It is pictured below along with the race shirt, bib and medal from yesterday's race along the Lake (which is actually the Quemahoning Reservoir in Hollsopple, PA).


No comments: