Saturday, March 21, 2009

Holy Shit!

First day of running outdoors "for real" since my stupid attempt to do so on January 1. Despite my sense that by writing about my recovery and attempts at running is also somehow connected to my backslides (because I'm superstitious), I decided to write about today since it's ridiculous to think the two are connected.

Truth be told I've been running for three weeks. I started by doing 1/4 miles the first week, then 1/2 miles for the second week. I did 3/4 mile earlier this week and then upped to 1 mile on Thursday. Today was not only the second 1-miler this week, but it was also my first time outside in nearly two months.

What a shocker! Unlike the security and sponginess of the treadmill; not to mention the flatness, outdoors has changed so much. I realized that the cement is quite a bit different. I realized just how hilly my training grounds really are. It was a simple half-mile out and back, but it was probably my most challenging run since my most memorable race last October 25, 2008. It was the last day I really truly ran pain-free and without trepidation. I wouldn't call today being totally back. Despite my growing confidence I realized that my legs and my wind are both far from getting back.

In reality and truth, my mountain is just beginning. After five months, I am still standing at the base of a very steep mountain with lots of work to do. I must be careful and calculated, but I also know that the road will be long, tough and mentally tougher than the first time I took this path. Really? Yes. This time I know what to expect. Last time it was all new to me. Perhaps it is insanity to go through with this knowing what is expected, but then again I've been here before. It was the second time I toed the line at a marathon in Baltimore. I'm feeling up for the challenge and know it won't be easy. I've forked off into the known and after going through this past winter, I'm excited to take on this challenge. I expect to face some difficulties, but that's all part of this insanity.

So what's with the title of this post? Sometimes I struggle with what to titles posts. Other times it comes easy. This one was easy. I repeated it about a thousand times during today's 8 or 9 minute mile. Let the game begin.

No comments: