Monday, July 21, 2008

Ten In a Row; Lesson Learned

I set out several weeks ago to see how many consecutive BQ runs I could string together. At first it was simply a different type of training that I figured would help me get to that promised land. I wrote about it here, saying that it goes against the grain of traditional marathon training.

Yesterday I went out a bit later than I had hoped to get an 8 mile training run in. I knew it would be the toughest BQ run to date because Sunday's generally are. It's long run day for me. Throw into the mix that I umpired in extreme heat on Friday night, ran a 5k Saturday morning (20:12 btw, in the Citizens Helping Citizens in Indiana, PA) and then spent Saturday afternoon and early evening cutting my grass and sealing my driveway (also in extreme heat and humidity).

The run began as most of my other runs have. I was hitting my splits and banking some time. I knew I would need to bank some time as the temperature rose and I could feel the humidity sapping me (it felt like Frederick, Md. all over again). By the time I hit mile 6 I was just ahead of a BQ pace. I would need to come across the 8 mile mark in 59:52 to secure a tenth consecutive BQ run. When I was in the final mile I could feel that it was going to be close and pushed myself to the brink of exhaustion to make the mark. Coming across in 59:27 I sealed the deal but not without a cost.

I spent the rest of the day yesterday sluggish and on the couch trying to keep cool and rejuvenate myself. The run had totally wiped me out. When I awoke this morning I had a headache that had returned from last evening and was still feeling pretty groggy. Yes, I got a tenth consecutive BQ run in, but it wasn't very smart. As I continue to recover today by drinking fluids and resting at home (I had to use a sick day), I know how dumb that thought process is. I will still attempt to maintain BQ times during my shorter weekday runs, but I will use my long slow weekend runs for that purpose. Long and slow weekend runs. It was dumb to try and maintain a qualifying pace on a day that started with me being fatigued and on a day when the purpose of the run is not to qualify.

My stubborness cost me a sick day and perhaps a few more days on the shelf as I recover and rest to get back to 100%. Stupid...

No comments: