Sunday, January 20, 2008

Character Builder


What do you do when the temperature outside is 9 degrees with a negative 9 wind chill? If you live in Southwestern Pennsylvania and you're training for a marathon; you run.
And so that's what I did today. I ran. However, what I have found in my running life is that no matter the looks you might get from passers by, if you dress appropriately it doesn't have to feel all that cold at all.
Don't get me wrong, it is cold. But it doesn't have to "feel" that cold. No doubt layering up and colder weather do not produce the fastest times, but it does teach you how to remain tough in the toughest conditions. In the late stages of a marathon, when the body wants you to shut it down, it is a day like today that will benefit me. In what has become one of my favorite phrases, it is in fact, a character builder. Inevitably it was an answer to the question one morning when I returned home from a tough run. When Becky asked me how I went out and braved the elements, I simply replied, "character builder".
Like the great John Wooden said (and is my new quote of the day), sports reveal character. When I hit mile 20 or 21 in Frederick, or in any race and it seems like the only thing to do is stop, character will not begin at that point. It has been practiced over and over again under extreme duress and is build days, months, and years before it is needed.
Yes, today was a definite character builder. And I'm better for it now that I'm done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I could not agree with you more. I am in Northeastern Ohio and was able to get my long run in today. When you step to the line for your marathon these are the days you remember and say "I earned my place in this marathon".

I have been following your blog and wish you the best in your training and at Frederick. If you can brave a day like today, mile 22 at Frederick will be easy.

David
http://www.passionforrunning.com/