Thursday, August 7, 2008

In Transition

As the nights and the mornings get cooler and football season almost completely underway I am returned to my childhood when the dog days of August were a subtle reminder of things to come.

Dare I say that winter is fast approaching, but it is. In just a few weeks the leaves will begin to change colors and not long after that the cooler nights and mornings will also help to transition our weather patterns to colder rains and we will switch to fleece tops, gloves and hats. Running will definitely become more comfortable and eventually downright miserable.

Like our bodies, and our lives, it is a time of transition. Much like the subtle changes that we go through in training I have become much more aware of these little things. I appreciate them more. To most, summer is still in full swing. But in my mind we are on the downturn. And with it and all that comes along with it I am bursting with joy. My "running" season is definitely in the fall. It is when I am at my best and my best is yet to come.

1 comment:

Bert said...

Down here on the Gulf Coast there is not even a whisper of cooler weather, just relentless heat and humidity. Of course we don't have much in the way of seasons here; Fall is usually one evening in late Oct or Nov when a blue northerner comes howling out of the plains. Maybe I should move!

Have fun enjoying your late summer & Fall running! It's all good as they say.