Wednesday, October 10, 2007

October?

After driving nearly 100 miles one way from Dewey Beach, DE to Wilmington, DE on Sunday to race a 15k, I had but one question. O.k., two. Why would I do that in the first place? And secondly, was it October? With race time temperatures at 8:00 a.m. of 70 degrees, that quickly warmed to over 80 by the time the run was over, I was slogging along the final two miles or so feeling much like I did in Cincinnati in May.

But overally, I was able to get through it in a decent time (BQ time) of 1:08:25. Although I wonder if I hurt my confidence a bit. A fairly flat course, I struggled. I'll write it off to having to rise so early, drive 100 miles and then run in weather that had dew points nearly the same as the air temps.

With just over five weeks to go I also ask myself this question. Am I doing enough? I truly don't know. But it's been one thing after another this year. My normal training run Tuesday was canceled because of stomach cramps. Feet, back, and now stomach issues. Was it from the run on Sunday? Who the hell knows.

No comments: