Sunday, March 25, 2007

Vince + Insanity = My Blog Name

I'm either stupid or just squeezing every last ounce out of life. I like to think it's the latter. Others might argue with me, but it's weekends like this that I will look back on as the character builder that helped propel me to a Boston qualifier; assuming I'm going to qualify.

Saturday night I referee three (3) hockey games in the annual Laurel Tournament in Greensburg. Me and three of my closest officiating friends not only ref four games in the tourney, we head out afterward for our annual end of season pizza and wings. Not to mention a few beers.

This is the final weekend of the season. I'm fortunate in that I'm selected to work the Class AAA Penguin Cup Final at Mellon Arena today (Sunday), but last night was the last night of hockey for our core Johnstown guys.

Unlike my crew, I had to wake and get my 18 mile run in before working my final game of the 06-07 season. We laugh on the way home that it's after midnight and when they wake to hit the bathroom, I'll be out getting my training in. I swear they think I'm an idiot, but I don't mind.

Although I plan on getting out by 8:00 a.m., the late night puts me behind a couple hours. On the road by 10:00 and it takes me 2 hours, 30 minutes to complete the trek. Now all that lies ahead is a drive to Pittsburgh and work my last game.

I depart Johnstown at 2:30 and arrive in plenty of time. My legs feel good, and because we're using a 4 man system, there isn't a ton of skating, but the unexpected usually happens when you don't want the unexpected.

Bethel Park leads North Allegheny 1-0, but NA ties the game with 1:33 remaining in the game and the tight defensive contest heads to overtime. It takes nearly two full overtimes to decide the game, but as I fight through some leg weariness I recall thinking, 'yes, I might be insane, but I am in perhaps the best shape of my life'.

Just a normal weekend in late winter / early spring for me. And another workout that I will vividly recall. Not to mention a great game. In case you're wondering; North Allegheny wins with 1:02 to play in the 2nd OT, ending Bethel Park's undefeated season. What a weekend. 6 weeks to go....

No comments: